Lev. 26:23, “And if ye will not be reformed by me by these things, but will walk contrary unto me;
24 Then will I also walk contrary unto you, and will punish you yet seven times for your sins.”
…that is, chastised, nurtured, restrained.
1. To withhold, Gen. 45:1.
2. To bridle, Est. 5:10. Prov. 10:19.
3. To keep back, Psal. 119:101.
4. To forbear, or be far from, Eccl. 3:5.
Also means to give rest, or make fresh again, after some bodily or spiritual decay and weariness.
Psal. 60:9, “Thou didst refresh thy land when it was weary.”
2. To breath, Job 32:20. marg.
3. To take rest, Exod. 23:12.
4. To take care of ones self, Acts 27:3.
5. (By meat and drink) to strengthen one’s self, 1 Kings 13:7.
Thomas Wilson, A Complete Christian Dictionary (London: E. Cotes and are to be sold by Thomas Williams, 1661), 521.